Friday, July 16, 2010

Getting Backk





Hello!  Although I haven't posted in awhile, I have been busy.  I entered the contest for the Alliance for American Quilt.  The theme was based on new favorites from old and this is my entry.  The contest is over, so I am thinking it is ok to post my entry on my blog now.  You can see all of the entries, which are absolutely amazing, on their website www.allianceforamericanquits.coml  This quilt kept me really busy because it is so heavily stitched, mostly by hand.  The buttons were pretty time consuming to add, as well.

Now, what, you may be asking yourself, does this quilt have to do with the theme of the contest?  Well, the theme could also represent things other than a specific quilt block or pattern.  My idea was based on how my thinking regarding art has changed over the years.  As an eager high school student, I thought there was no better painter than Andrew Wyeth; however, Time has taught me many lessons and I can now appreciate much more abstract work.  So, I drew and painted the flowers from a photo I took (my love of realism) and then attempted to make the surrounding area much more abstract.  I titled the piece "Evolution" to represent my change of thought.  I hope you enjoy seeing it.


I really have to share that this was very difficult for me to do.  I have no trouble making things for myself or my family; however, sharing with others is much more difficult for me.  And to enter something into a contest nearly put me over the edge!  I think that's why I haven't posted in such a while.  But I have been busy working on my crazy quilt star.  So, here are some photos of how that work is going.




These ae some of the points of the star I have been working on.  The one on the right in the picture above is not quite done, but I am out of ribbon and have to order some more.  Here is a picture of how the finished points look when placed next to the main block of the star.

I hope you enjoy seeing this.  Keep quilting!  It's the cure for what ails you!

No comments:

Post a Comment