Monday, July 19, 2010

Painting Fabric


This is a quilt I finished last year.  It is based on a small sketch from my sketchbook I made several years before that.  The lighter colored fabrics are fabrics that I painted with setacolor paints.  If you have never worked with fabric paints before, these are great fun to use.  It is easy to get great marbled effects with them, as well as salt prints.  They are very easy to use, water based, and very color fast.  You can also use them  to make solar prints.  If you've never tried painting fabric, it's really great fun.  I love doing it.


Speaking of painting fabrics, I also used paint sticks on this piece and had a really good time with them.  Paint sticks, too, are very easy to use, but they are not water based.  They are actually oil paints in a stick form.  There is a film on them that acts as a sealer of sorts.  You must peal that sealer off to use them.   I have viewed several demonstrations of using them.  In the demonstrations, the paint is put on a palette and applied to fabric with a stencil brush.  I have used this technique, but, on this quilt, have applied the paint sticks directly to the quilt.  They blend beautifully and are are dream to use.  I have not used them recently, but hope to again, soon.


This quilt also included the use of a commercial stamp and has beaded embellishments.


I have not made anything from my sketchbook in a long time.  Do you keep a sketch book?  If you do, I would be very interested in hearing about it.  Thanks for reading.


Keep stitching in peace and tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment