Friday, October 2, 2009

Lessons Learned from the Learning Curve Sampler Quilt

I really learned a lot about making this quilt and wanted to share some of the things I learned with others.  Hopefully, it will be of some help to others who feel that they are constantly learning, or just beginning a machine journey, too.
Never try and sew on your machine with a curious kitty sitting behind the machine (or type on your blog, for that matter!).  I was going along quite well, when all of a sudden my top thread ran out.  At first, I could not understand because it was a new, large spool of thread.  Then the light bulb went on:  the thread had been chewed through!  So much for company while I stitch.

Slow and steady wins the race.  Mary Mashuta recommends in her book that you slow down when using a walking foot or decorative stitches, as opposed to speeding up when doing free motion quilting.  In this case, slowing down produces greater accuracy.  Slow down and enjoy the ride.  Thank-you, Mary for you book, Foolproof Machine Quilting, and all of the great tips it contains.  I have not given up on free motion quilting, but felt this was a better way for me to ease into machine work, as I have always done everything by hand before.

Make a detailed sample on scrap fabric.  I like to use 2 layers of inexpensive felt.  That way, you can work out any glitches ahead of time, as well as practice using your decorative stitches.  You can determine the best settings and look at how the size of the stitches works with the overall design.

If you do not have a top of the line, computerized machine (I don't), re-set your settings each time you begin a new grouping of decorative stitches.  It will assure greater consistency.

A caveat to the last paragraph: you don't need top of the line, expensive machine to do good work.  Don't let the lack of one hold you back.  Go forth boldly on the machine you do have!

Keep an eye on your bobbin thread.  I found it best to re-thread when I was getting low, rather than wait for the bobbin to run out.

These are some of the lessons I learned from using my machine for this quilt.  I hope they might be helpful to some stitchers out there who are machine newbies, like me.

Peace and happy stitches to you all.  xoxo, Debby


No comments:

Post a Comment