Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Lesson from the Quilt

In my last post I wrote about why I quilt.  I also wrote about how, at times, I try and make the quilt do something and, at other times, the quilt tells me!

The block I have been working on is a good example.  I had some nice, dark red cranberry colored perl cotton and thought it would be a good contrast color on the block.  I thought it would be great; however, the block had something different to say.  In fact, the more I looked at the block, the more it screamed to me, "Get this darn cranberry color off of me!!!"

Finally, after several attempts to salvage the motif with the cranberry red, I gave in and listened to the block.  The block was right, the red had to go.  The block was telling me that, although some of the green fabrics were quite dark, the embellishment and stitching I had chosen were more delicate.  The cranberry red was a contrast to the rest of the block, but it was much too harsh, nor was it tied in to the rest of the design.   The softer pinkish red used for small french knots was a much better choice. I think the lesson for me to learn from this is to let go of what I think should be happening, and trust what the quilt, or in this case, the block is telling me.

So, last night, I took out the dark cranberry red, let the block sigh a deep sigh of relief, and began remaking that section of embellishment.  Keep quilting in peace and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment