Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Having Some Fun

Well, I've been  busy bee, learning more new things about blogging.  I'd give myself a big pat on the back for managing to post the blogs I currently follow on this blog, except that it only took me several days to figure it out!!!  Once the light bulb finally went on over my head, it was very easy.  It just takes me awhile.
Here is a picture of something that took me a lot less time.  I have painted and stenciled fabric almost from the time I began quilting, but I never tried painting thread before.  So, yesterday, I measured and cut some #8 DMC pearl cotton into six foot lengths.  I bundled them into little skeins and got out some paints.  I used  Jacquard fabric paints and a small brush.  I wet each skein (unknotted) and mixed my paints on a paper plate, then went to town dabbing the paint on with the small brush.  They turned out nicely variegated by using more or less paint.


When the skeins were dry, I was disappointed to find them very stiff; however, by running them through my fingers several times, they began to soften up.  Pictured below are some french knots and a length of thread that I have already used.  The threads were actually very soft to work with by then.  I was very happy with the results and had a great time painting them.  hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I enjoyed painting them.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely job of painting these threads Debb.
    They are very sutle and easy on the eye.
    I have tried dyeing using silk paints but never this make you used, shall look out for it.
    Anyhow I applaud you for having a go for yourself with these threads.
    And for taking on Sharon's class ( oh wish I were able to do so..lucky you :O)
    Warm wishes from Pam

    ReplyDelete