Sunday, November 29, 2009

Works in Progress




I hope everyone here in the states had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.  Mine was wonderful, with one of the best turkeys we ever had.  During the holiday, I was recovering from a nasty sinus infection, but still managed to have a good time as we all gathered at my sister Pammy Lou's house.  The table was decorated so beautifully and we all stuffed ourselves, again, at another year's feast.  My wish is that all people could know such a feast and such happiness when gathered together.


As I mentioned, I was recovering from being sick, which slowed down my stitching for a few days.  Now that I am feeling better, I am back at it and wanted to post some pictures of my progress so far.  This is a large block, 12.5 inches square, finished size would be 11.5 because of a half inch seam allowance.  This is to be the center of a large star block and I am having a really good time with it, although, I must confess, working with tiny seed beads does try my patience, at times.  Here is a picture of the vertical flower and button seam treatment:



As you can see, I have not finished the seed beading on the larger strip of lace at the top.  I do
love the little black beads on there, but, as I said, they try my patience.  I love using the seed beads and french knots.  They remind me of building up texture in a pen and ink drawing with little dots.  This seam treatment was lots of fun.  I have to confess, the flowers are purchased, however.  


I love trolling through my collection of buttons, found at antique markets and given me by friends, for just the right buttons to work into a spray.  Sometimes the buttons have little pieces of fabric still attached to them and I love to think about what pieces of clothing they might have been attached to.  Were the buttons cut off and saved by a thrifty housewife with any thought in mind that someday I would use them to adorn a quilt?  I doubt it very much.  I'm sure she was just being thrifty, a notion our modern world seriously needs to reconsider.  


Here is another picture of a flower spray I am developing in the corner, and I must say that I am seriously having a blast with it.  I removed a button I had attached previously and altered the composition somewhat.  It is just so much fun to work on:





Making the silk ribbon roses is a joy.  I love roses and still have a few die hard real roses in my garden hanging in despite the colder weather.  Making them in silk is a great inspiration during the colder months.  I think this spray will fill in and trail down into some of the other patches really well.


I also wanted to post a picture of another project I am working on, a Log Cabin quilt.  I work on this one in odd spare moments to help me with my  machine skills, which are nowhere near as good as my hand skills.  Trying to get a good quarter inch seam is a real challenge for me, but I will persist!!!!




I hope everyone in this holiday season is happy and healthy.  Keep stitching in peace and happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment